Hanshi Gichin Funakoshi 10th Dan (1868-1957) was born in Okinawa, and is widely known as the creator of Shotokan Karate. He introduced Shotokan Karate to Japan in 1922. His aim was to ensure karate was an effective form of self-defence which developed character through diligent practice.
Hanshi Hirokazu Kanazawa 10th Dan (1939-2019) known as the most legendary Shotokan karate-ka the world has ever seen. Hanshi Gichin Funakoshi 10th Dan awarded his 1st Dan, and he was one of the first international instructors of the Japan Karate Association (JKA). He was the JKA’s first Grand Champion, coming 1st in Kata and Kumite, in 1958.
Hanshi Mick Randall MBE 10th Dan (1944-2020) began his karate training in 1963, one of the first in Britain. He was graded to 4th Dan in 1978 by Hanshi Hirokazu Kanazawa 10th Dan. This made him one of the most senior British and European instructors. His focus was on traditional Shotokan karate, rather than competition-orientated karate.
SHOTO's Unique Heritage & Qualifications
- SHOTO was founded in 1996 by Hanshi Mick Randall MBE 10th Dan, a pioneer of British Karate.
- SHOTO has a direct and short lineage: Hanshi Gichin Funakoshi 10th Dan to Hanshi Hirokazu Kanazawa 10th Dan to Hanshi Mick Randall MBE 10th Dan.
- The Chief Instructor and Head of Association: Hanshi John Blain 8th Dan.
- We have 20+ highly ranked Instructors 3rd to 8th level Black Belts.
- More than 420 years’ combined karate experience.
- In pursuit of traditional Shotokan karate. We promote structured progression with the 3 Ks: Kihon (the basic techniques), Kata (pre-arranged forms), and Kumite (sparring).
Professional Karate Organisation
- Not-for-profit karate classes and tuition.
- Affiliated with the English Karate Federation (EKF).
- Child Protection Policy & Association Child Protection Officer.
- DBS-checked and insured instructors.
- EKF-compliant COVID policy in place.
Training Shotokan Karate
- We offer a wide variety of training: Adults’ and Children's karate classes, beginner karate classes, and self defence classes.
- We have Karate clubs located in and around North London and Southern England.
- Friendly, welcoming, and inclusive. All training is held in a positive atmosphere.
Benefits of Shotokan Karate
- Learn self-defence.
- Increase your fitness, muscle tone, balance, mobility, flexibility, co-ordination, and reflexes.
- Improve your health: higher vitality, cardiovascular performance by total body workout, and reduce stress.
- Better mental health: self esteem and confidence; perseverance, mental toughness, discipline, and improved memory and concentration.
- Relate positively to others: learn how to show respect and humility without being subservient.